Results tagged ‘ Gale Sayers ’
(Photo by Stephen Green)
A short, three-game homestand at Wrigley Field kicks off this Friday, July 11, as the Cubs welcome the Braves to town for a 1960s-themed celebration. Cubs fans can relive one of the venerable stadium’s greatest decades along with Hall of Fame Bears running back Gale Sayers, Rookie of the Year star Thomas Ian Nicholas and Cubs players from the 1960s.
Here are the other guests and promotions you’ll find at the Friendly Confines this weekend.
1960s Homestand Recap, July 11-13
Friday, July 11, Chicago Cubs vs. Atlanta Braves, 3:05 p.m.
- Promotion: Gale Sayers Bobblehead presented by Comcast SportsNet (first 10,000 fans)
- First pitch: Carl Giammarese, Chicago native and original lead singer of 1960s band The Buckinghams
- Seventh-inning stretch: Former Chicago Bears running back Gale Sayers
- Broadcast: Comcast SportsNet, MLB Network, WGN 720-AM Radio, Cubs.com
Saturday, July 12, Chicago Cubs vs. Atlanta Braves, 3:05 p.m.
- Promotion: Billy Williams Retired Number Flag presented by Wrigley (first 10,000 fans)
- First pitch and seventh-inning stretch: Thomas Ian Nicholas, actor from Rookie of the Year
- National Anthem: Derrick Mitchell, Out at Wrigley contest winner
- Broadcast: WGN-TV, WGN 720-AM Radio, Cubs.com
Sunday, July 13, Chicago Cubs vs. Atlanta Braves, 1:20 p.m.
- Throwback uniforms: Retro 1969 home and visiting uniforms
- Promotion: ‘60s Throwback Cubs Etch-A-Sketch (first 5,000 children)
- First pitch and seventh-inning stretch: Former teammates from the late-1960s, including Ernie Banks, Randy Hundley, Rich Nye, Paul Popovich and Ken Rudolph
- Broadcast: Comcast SportsNet, WGN 720-AM Radio, Cubs.com
For more information on Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday celebration, please visit www.wrigleyfield100.com.
The Wrigley Field grounds crew sings the stretch in 2010. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Here’s a current listing of the seventh-inning stretch conductors for this week:
- Monday, Sept. 19. Kurt Busch / NASCAR driver
- Tuesday, Sept. 20. Gale Sayers / Former Chicago Bears running back
- Wednesday, Sept. 21. Cubs Grounds Crew / 2011 team
While you’re at the ballpark this week, be sure to pick up a copy of the September issue of Vine Line, featuring left-hander Sean Marshall.