Results tagged ‘ Glenn Beckert ’
This afternoon, Jeff Samardzija helps the Cubs kick off a 10-game homestand with the Rockies, Brewers and Giants. If you’re on your way to Wrigley to cheer on the new-look North Siders, here’s your seventh-inning stretch lineup:
- Friday, August 24 – Glenn Beckert, former Cubs great
First Pitch: Rowdy Gaines, three-time Olympic Gold Medalist in swimming, Pregame: Several other Olympic swimmers are on hand for a special recognition, including Peter Vanderkaay, Davis Tarwater and Cullen Jones
- Saturday, August 25 – Fergie Jenkins, Cubs Hall of Fame pitcher
- Sunday, August 26 – Tom Dreesen, comedian and Chicago native
- Monday, August 27 – Buddy Guy, Grammy Award-winning blues legend
- Tuesday, August 28 – Len Kasper and Bob Brenly from the Budweiser Patio
First Pitch: Elisabeth Moss, actress and star of Mad Men
- Wednesday, August 29 – Umphrey’s McGee, popular rock jam band
- Thursday, August 30 – Doug Bruno and Oliver Purnell, DePaul University’s women’s and men’s head basketball coaches
- Friday, August 31 – Bobby Hansen, former Chicago Bulls guard and current Iowa basketball broadcaster
First Pitch: Fran McCaffery, University of Iowa men’s head basketball coach
- Saturday, September 1 – Jon Lovitz, actor and comedian
- Sunday, September 2 – TBD Chicago Blackhawks players
First Pitch: Patrick Sharp, Chicago Blackhawks star
While you’re at the park, remember to pick up the latest issue of Vine Line and the collectible Vine Line Gameday Edition and scorecard.
The following guest post was submitted by Ryan Maloney, from the Cubs MLBlog Prose and Ivy. (Photos by Stephen Green)
TELL US WHAT YOU THINK: If Ryan Dempster joins Starlin Castro in reaching a personal “200” milestone this week, which accomplishment are you more impressed by: Dempster’s four straight seasons of 200+ innings, or Castro hitting the 200-hit mark at a younger age than any player in the history of the franchise?
Starlin Castro reached his statistical mountain top on Friday against the St. Louis Cardinals when he became the Cubs’ youngest player ever to reach 200 hits in a season. Ryan Dempster is chasing the 200-inning mark for the fourth straight season, needing just 3.1 innings pitched in his last remaining start, at San Diego.
So let’s consider what each achievement says about the two players. (more…)