Results tagged ‘ Jonathan Mota ’
The Arizona Fall League held its midseason Fall Stars game on Saturday, and it featured the Cubs’ big three prospects. All three got in the game for the East, but the West cruised to a 9-2 win. Here are some highlights from the weekend’s fall/winter league action.
Arizona Fall League –
Albert Almora, RF – Almora entered the game in the top of the sixth as a defensive replacement, and went 0-for-2 at the plate.
Kris Bryant, 3B – Bryant led off the top of the eighth with a soft liner to center. Two batters later, Devon Travis (Tigers) tripled, scoring the Cubs 2013 first-round pick. Bryant finished 1-for-4 and committed two errors in the field.
Jorge Soler, RF – Batting seventh for the AFL East, Soler reached on a walk in his first at-bat. In his other at-bat, he led off the fifth with a sharp single to the right side of the infield.
On Friday, the Solar Sox were on the losing end of a 5-4 decision with Peoria. Almora and Wes Darvill both got in the game for Mesa.
Albert Almora, DH – Almora led off for the Sox and got things going in the bottom of the first with a double to right, but he was left stranded at second. He drew a walk in his next at-bat. With Mesa trailing by a run entering the ninth, Almora smacked a one-out triple to center, but Mesa couldn’t drive him in to tie the game. THe Cubs prospect finished 2-for-4 with a walk.
Wes Darvill, 3B – Darvill reached on a two-out walk in the fifth. In the seventh, he reached on an error and scored from second on a Dixon Machado single (Tigers). Darvill finished 1-for-3.
Mesa hosts Salt River Monday, with first pitch scheduled for 7:35 CST. Matt Purke (Nationals) will take the mound for the Sox, while Grayson Garvin (Rays) will throw for the Rafters.
Caribbean League –
Jeffry Antigua, LHP – Antigua was credited with a hold, striking out his only batter for the Toros as they came away victorious on Saturday.
Junior Lake, LF – Lake went 1-for-4 with the game-winning RBI for Oriente on Sunday. He also added a pair of hits in a loss on Saturday.
Marcos Mateo, RHP – Mateo blew a save on Sunday, but recorded the win, pitching one inning and giving up an earned run on two hits and a walk for the Estrellas de Oriente. He racked up his third save of the Dominican league season with a one-strikeout, hitless ninth inning on Friday.
Marcus Hatley, RHP – Hatley pitched a scoreless ninth inning for Culican in a 7-2 win on Friday.
Edwin Maysonet, SS – Maysonet had a single and a walk in a 1-0 win for Santurce Saturday.
Jonathan Mota, 3B – Mota recorded a single and scored the Leones’ only run in a 4-1 loss Saturday. He singled, walked and drove in a run in a win on Friday.
Rubi Silva, LF – Silva went 2-for-4 on Friday with a walk, an RBI and two runs scored for Ponce.
Frank Del Valle, LHP – Starting for Margarita on Saturday, Del Valle gave up one run on four hits and three walks, striking out two over three innings. The Bravos won 7-5.
Hector Rondon, RHP – Rondon surrendered two hits but struck out one in a scoreless eighth inning for Caracas Sunday.
Brian Bogusevic posted his third-straight, multi-hit game Sunday. (Photo by Stephen Green)
While Kane County’s doubleheader in Wisconsin was postponed due to inclement weather, Iowa, Tennessee and Daytona all collected a win Sunday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (3-8)
Iowa won its second game in a row, plating three fifth-inning runs in a 4-1 victory over visiting Albuquerque.
- LHP Chris Rusin (1-1) went seven innings, surrendering one earned run on four hits for the win.
- CF Brian Bogusevic (.378 AVG) recorded his third-straight, multi-hit game, going 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- 2B Darwin Barney (.200) went 0-for-1 with three walks, a run scored and a stolen base (1) in the second game of a rehabilitation assignment.
- 3B Ian Stewart (.000) went 0-for-3 with a walk and a RBI (1) in the first game of a rehabilitation assignment.
- 1B Brad Nelson (.205) was 1-for-4 with a team-high two RBI (7).
- RHP Zach Putnam (8.44 ERA) converted his first save, walking one and fanning three in 2.0 scoreless innings of relief.
Tennessee Smokies (5-5)
Tennessee plated two runs in the first inning, one in the fourth inning and four more in the seventh in a 7-3 victory over visiting Chattanooga, the Smokies third straight win.
- RHP Dae-Eun Rhee (1-1) went six innings, surrendering one hit and allowing no earned runs.
- RF Jae-Hoon Ha (.343) reached base four times, going 3-for-3 with a walk, a double (2), a run scored and a RBI (6).
- 2B Ronald Torreyes (.667) reached base three times, going 2-for-3 with a walk, a run and a RBI (1).
- LF Rubi Silva (.345) was 2-for-4.
- 3B Jonathan Mota (.227) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and a RBI (2).
Daytona Cubs (5-5)
Daytona used a three-run seventh inning to race past host Tampa, 3-1.
- RHP Zach Cates (1-1) surrendered one earned run over six innings, striking out four in the win.
- DH Stephen Bruno (.385) went 2-for-4 with a run scored. He extended his hitting streak to eight games (.424), including six multi-hit affairs.
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.286) went 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- C Micah Gibbs (.286) was 2-for-4 with a double (2) and a RBI (5).
- LHP Frank Del Valle (0.00) converted his second save, striking out the side in a perfect ninth frame.
MESA, Ariz.–The Chicago Cubs today sent four players to minor league camp, reducing their spring roster from 63 to 59 players.
Four non-roster invitees have been assigned to minor league camp: right-handed pitchers Marco Carrillo and Trey McNutt, infielder Jonathan Mota, and outfielder Jae-Hoon Ha.
Chicago’s current spring roster consists of 28 pitchers (eight non-roster invitees), seven catchers (four non-roster invitees), 14 infielders (five non-roster invitees) and 10 outfielders (three non-roster invitees).