Results tagged ‘ Junior Lake ’
On an otherwise quiet day for Cubs representatives in the Caribbean, Junior Lake recorded a few big hits for his Dominican team. Here are some notes from yesterday’s winter league action:
- LF Junior Lake had a big day at the plate for the Estrellas de Oriente in their win over the Tigres del Licey. The converted outfielder had a triple and a double, notched two RBI, scored three runs and walked three times. He finished 2-for-2 on the day.
- C Luis Flores went 0-for-3 but scored a run for the Estrellas.
- PR Junior Felix Arias entered the game in the sixth inning as a pinch-runner and scored for the Gigantes del Cibao, who were victorious over the Toros del Este.
- RHP Frank Batista was roughed up in two innings, giving up three earned runs in the Aguilas Cibaenas’ win over the Leones del Escogido.
- LF Christian Villanueva went 1-for-4 with a single as the Yaquis de Obregon fell to the Tomateros de Culiacan.
- LHP Joseph Ortiz picked up his second win of the winter in a Tiburones de La Guaira victory over the Navegantes del Magallanes. He pitched 0.2 innings and gave up one hit.
- 2B Luis Valbuena went hitless in four at-bats as the Cardenales de Lara fell to the Leones del Caracas.
Junior Lake reached base multiple times Monday in the Dominican, and a pair of catchers recorded hits for their respective teams. Here are some notes from yesterday’s action in the Caribbean:
- PR-C Luis Flores entered the game in the third inning as a pinch-runner and finished 1-for-2 with two runs scored in the Estrellas de Oriente’s 5-4 win over the Gigantes del Cibao. The 28-year-old backstop split time between Double- and Triple-A during the 2014 regular season, hitting .253/.388/.371 (AVG/OBP/SLG) with eight homers in 67 games. He was originally a seventh-round selection out of Oklahoma State in the 2008 draft.
- CF Junior Lake had a big day in the Estrellas’ win. The 24-year-old reached base four times, with two singles and two walks. He went 2-for-3.
- CF John Andreoli was 0-for-4 as the Senadores de San Juan fell to the Indios de Mayaguez Monday.
- C Willson Contreras recorded a single and scored a run in the Tigres de Aragua’s loss to the Navegantes del Magallanes. Contreras was 1-for-3 on the day before being pinch-hit for in the eighth inning.
Arismendy Alcantara had a big day at the plate in the Dominican Wednesday, while numerous other Cubs contributed to their respective clubs. Here are some notes from yesterday’s action in the Caribbean:
- CF Arismendy Alcantara’s Tigres del Licey fell 6-3 to the Gigantes del Cibao despite the major leaguer’s big day at the plate. The 23-year-old had a three-hit game including a first-inning solo shot. He finished 3-for-4 with a an RBI and a run scored.
- CF-LF Junior Lake reached base twice, going 1-for-5 with a walk and scoring two runs in an Estrellas de Oriente win over the Leones del Escogido. Lake also stole his third base of the season.
- 3B Christian Villanueva is better known for his defense, but he contributed in the Yaquis de Obregon’s win. He racked up his third double of the winter, finishing 1-for-3 and adding a walk. Obregon held of the Venados de Mazatlan by a score of 5-4.
- CF John Andreoli had one of the Senadores de San Juan’s four hits Thursday. Batting leadoff, he finished 1-for-3 with a walk in the loss to the Criollos de Caguas.
(Photo by Stephen Green)
Cubs outfielder Junior Lake turns 24 years old Thursday. Though hitting just .229 this spring, the Dominican native has enjoyed a power surge, hitting four home runs and two doubles in 51 plate appearances. Most of that power has come in the past week. After enjoying a three-homer game on Sunday, the outfielder slugged another on Tuesday.
Lake played 64 games in 2013, hitting .284/.332/.428 (AVG/OBP/SLG) with six homers and 16 RBI in 254 plate appearances.
Welington Castillo was one of 19 players to agree to a deal with the Cubs Monday afternoon. (Image by Stephen Green)
The Cubs have come to terms with 19 players on their 40-man roster with zero-to-three years of major league service time. The terms of the contracts were not disclosed.
The players who have reached agreements include right-handed pitchers Jake Arrieta, Dallas Beeler, Alberto Cabrera, Justin Grimm, Blake Parker, Neil Ramirez, Hector Rondon and Arodys Vizcaino; left-handed pitchers Zac Rosscup and Chris Rusin; catcher Welington Castillo; infielders Arismendy Alcantara, Mike Olt, Christian Villanueva and Logan Watkins; and outfielders Brett Jackson, Junior Lake, Matt Szczur and Josh Vitters.
The Venezuelan league had the day off Tuesday, but Junior Lake delivered a three-hit performance for his side in the Dominican. Here are some results from yesterday’s action in the Caribbean.
Junior Lake, LF – Lake bounced back from a four-strikeout afternoon Monday to go 3-for-4 Tuesday with a double and an RBI. Estrellas fell 4-3.
Walter Ibarra, SS – Ibarra had a hit and drew a walk for Mazatlan Tuesday. The 25-year-old hit .276 in 58 games of combined Double- and Triple-A ball for the Yankees last year.
Jonathan Mota, 3B – Mota went 1-for-4 with a run scored for Ponce in a 9-3 win.
Frank Del Valle and Yoanner Negrin both pitched well in their starts over the holiday weekend, while Junior Lake and Edwin Maysonet contributed offensively for their respective teams. Here’s how the Cubs representatives fared this weekend in the Caribbean.
Alberto Cabrera, RHP – The Cubs reliever gave up an earned run in one inning pitched on Saturday. He struck out one batter.
Marcos Mateo, RHP – Mateo continues to be a reliable arm for Oriente, as he racked up his sixth and seventh saves of the winter on Friday and Saturday.
Junior Lake, LF – On Saturday, Lake went 2-for-3 with a pair of singles, a walk and a run scored for Oriente. The Cubs outfielder added two more hits on Friday.
Edwin Maysonet, SS – In Friday’s game, Maysonet had a pair of hits, including a double and a run scored, for Santurce.
Jonathan Mota, 3B – Mota was hitless in two official at-bats, but he drew a pair of walks and scored a run on Friday for Ponce.
Frank Del Valle, LHSP – Del Valle started for Margarita on Friday, going six innings, giving up two earned runs and striking out seven in a no-decision.
Yoanner Negrin, RHSP – Negrin got the start on Thursday for Caracas and picked up the win, going five innings and giving up no runs on three hits and striking out three.
Hector Rondon, RHP – Rondon pitched the eighth inning for Caracas on Friday, giving up an earned run and striking out one in the win.
Both the Mexican and Venezuelan leagues had the day off Monday, while the Dominican league had just one game. Leones de Ponce teammates Jonathan Mota and Rubi Silva led their squad to victory in Puerto Rican action, and Junior Lake had another big day at the plate in a losing effort. Here are some notes from around the Caribbean.
Junior Lake, CF – Lake continued his tear, going 2-for-4 with a double and an RBI in an Estrellas loss Monday. He’s hitting .361 on the season.
Marcos Mateo, RHP – Mateo pitched 0.2 innings, striking out two and giving up one hit in a losing effort.
Edwin Maysonet, SS – Maysonet was hitless in three at-bats.
Jonathan Mota, 3B – Mota finished 1-for-4 with an RBI double and a sacrifice fly in the Ponce win Monday.
Rubi Silva, DH – In five plate appearances, Silva reached base four times, going 3-for-4 with a double, an RBI, a walk and a run scored for Ponce.
Cubs prospect Rubi Silva was the top performer this weekend in Puerto Rico. The outfielder, who spent all of 2013 with Double-A Tennessee, had five total hits over the weekend. Outfielder Junior Lake also had a few hits in two games, while Frank Del Valle got out of trouble in his Sunday start. Here are some notes from this weekend’s Caribbean League action.
Julio Borbon, PR – Borbon scored a run in a pinch-run appearance on Saturday but went hitless in three at-bats Friday for Licey.
Junior Lake, CF – Lake had a pair of hits with an RBI in an Estrellas loss Saturday. He added an RBI single and a walk in a loss Friday.
Marcus Hatley, RHP – Hatley blew his second save of the winter and was credited for a loss Saturday after surrendering two earned runs on two hits and two walks.
Edwin Maysonet, SS – Maysonet had a single on Sunday for Santurce.
Rubi Silva, LF – Silva had a pair of hits (including a double), an RBI and a walk as Ponce picked up a win Sunday. On Saturday, Silva added three singles to his weekend tally, scoring two runs in a win. He owns a .343 average in Puerto Rico this winter.
Jonathan Mota, 3B – Mota was hitless in three at-bats Sunday. He also went 0-for-5 Saturday with three strikeouts.
Frank Del Valle, LHSP – Del Valle got the start Sunday, going 3.2 innings and giving up one earned run on four hits and five walks. He struck out two and has a 2.00 ERA.
Hector Rondon, RHP – Rondon pitched a scoreless eighth inning, striking out two while giving up a hit and two walks on Saturday.