Results tagged ‘ Minor League Recap ’
Daytona secured a win on a walk-off single, while Kane County improved to 20 games over .500 with a win Thursday. Meanwhile, Iowa couldn’t get the ball rolling, and Tennessee was shut out in a loss. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (30-27)
T-2nd Place (-0.5)
Iowa fell to the visiting Sky Sox in the series opener by a final score of 6-2.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.267) went 2-for-4, including his team-leading eighth home run, a solo shot with two out in the sixth.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.230) went 1-for-4 with his 17th double in the seventh inning. He later scored on a bases-loaded walk from pinch-hitter Logan Watkins (.302).
- C Rafael Lopez (.143) went 1-for-3 to record his first hit with Iowa.
Tennessee Smokies (28-32)
2nd Place (-12.0)
Tennessee managed just four hits in a 6-0 loss at Jacksonville.
- 2B Jonathan Mota (.174) recorded a pair of doubles for Tennessee.
- SS Elliot Soto (.105) also recorded his second double in three games.
Daytona Cubs (24-34)
5th Place (-16.5)
Daytona used a walk-off RBI-single from 2B Wes Darvill to beat Jupiter, 5-4.
- RHP Felix Pena gave up no earned runs over four innings, striking out seven. Pena has a 1-5 record, despite having allowed one or fewer earned runs in each of his 11 starts.
- RHP Zach Godley (2-1, 6.59) threw 3.2 frames in relief of Pena, allowing one unearned run to earn his second win.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.203) went 2-for-3 with a run, a walk, a homer in the ninth and his 25th RBI.
- CF Albert Almora (.251), DH Dan Vogelbach (.268) and SS Marco Hernandez (.273) also tallied two hits apiece.
Kane County Cougars (40-20)
1st Place (+8.5)
Kane County beat Clinton, 7-3, to improve to a league-best 40-20. The Cougars are just one win away from a 2014 Midwest League Playoff berth.
- RHP Tyler Skulina picked up the win, giving up two earned runs over six innings and fanning five.
- RHP Michael Wagner (4.15) earned his first save with three scoreless innings of work.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.248) went 2-for-4 with two runs, a double (8), an RBI (21) and a stolen base (18).
- 3B Jordan Hankins (.293) added two more hits, including a double (12), and had two RBI (24)
- SS Carlos Penalver added an RBI single in the eighth and came in to score on a sacrifice fly from Hannemann later in the inning.
There were quite a few bright spots in an 0-5 day for the Cubs minor league affiliates Thursday. Top prospect Javier Baez continued his rebound with a multihit effort, Arismendy Alcantara hit his seventh triple of the season, and Kris Bryant clubbed his league-leading 16th home run. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (27-24)
T-1st Place (–)
GM 1: Redbirds closer David Aardsma held the I-Cubs scoreless in the top of the seventh inning to close out a 2-1 victory for Memphis in the suspended game from Wednesday night.
- SS Javier Baez (.229) recorded Iowa’s lone multihit game, going 2-for-3.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.282) went 1-for-3 with an RBI (26) and his team-leading seventh triple.
GM 2: Memphis LHP Tim Cooney still had a no-hitter going with two outs in the top of the ninth inningbefore Alcantara spoiled his bid at history with a single to left field. The I-Cubs fell, 4-0.
- Alcantara (.282) extended his hitting streak to five games with the two-out single.
- RHP Alberto Cabrera (5.48) struck out two hitters in 2.0 scoreless innings of work.
Tennessee Smokies (26-27)
2nd Place (-10.5)
Tennessee lost its fourth straight one-run game to host Huntsville, as they fell 4-3.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.347) went 1-for-4 and clubbed his Southern League-leading 16th homer of the campaign. Bryant has now homered in three of his last four games and is hitting .406 (41-for-101) with 28 runs, six doubles, 11 home runs and 33 RBI in 27 May games.
- 2B Wes Darvill (.232) and 1B Charles Cutler (.330) each had two hits apiece.
- RHP Joe Gardner has allowed just one run on three hits in two starts with the Smokies (11.2 IP).
Daytona Cubs (20-31)
5th Place (-17.0)
Visiting Palm Beach recorded 11 hits in an 8-1 victory over Daytona.
- DH Chadd Krist (.226) recorded Daytona’s lone multihit game, going 2-for-4.
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.315) went 1-for-2 with a walk and his 12th double of the year.
- LF Zeke DeVoss (.189) went 1-for-2 with a walk and drove in his sixth run of the campaign.
Kane County Cougars (36-18)
1st Place (+6.5)
Kane County had its four-game winning streak snapped in a 5-0 loss at Clinton.
- DH Ben Carhart (.297) reached base four times, going a perfect 3-for-3 with a walk.
- C Cael Brockmeyer (.350) posted his second three-hit game of the year, going 3-for-4.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.246) went 1-for-4 and has now hit safely in five of his last six games.
(Photo by Stephen Green)
Javier Baez’s early-season struggles have been well documented, but the 2011 No. 1 draft pick looks to be returning to his dominant form. The Cubs top prospect, according to MLB.com, has been named Pacific Coast League Player of the Week for his efforts from May 19-25.
During the week, the slugging shortstop hit .400 (12-for-30) with six doubles, three homers and eight RBI. He also extended his now-11-game hitting streak. Baez is currently hitting .225/.287/.437 (AVG/OBP/SLG) with seven homers, nine doubles and 25 RBI.
He is the third-consecutive I-Cub to receive a weekly award, as left-handed pitcher Chris Rusin and right-hander Kyle Hendricks both won Pitcher of the Week awards earlier in the month. Fellow left-hander Tsuyoshi Wada claimed Pitcher of the Week honors during the season’s opening week.
Baez is the first Iowa position player to claim the award since Welington Castillo did it in June 2011.
Iowa powered its way to a win, the Smokies secured a victory in walk-off fashion and Kane County continued its winning ways Thursday. Daytona couldn’t hold its ninth-inning lead. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (24-20)
T-1st Place (–)
Iowa scored five runs in the fourth inning to roll past host Round Rock, 7-2.
- RHP Dallas Beeler earned the win after throwing seven innings, giving up one earned run and striking out six.
- SS Javier Baez (.201) extended his hitting streak to seven games (.429/12-for-28), going 4-for-5 with two runs, two doubles (6), a home run and two RBI (17). Baez has homered in back-to-back games for the first time this season.
- C Eli Whiteside (.161) went 1-for-4 with a fourth-inning, two-run homer.
- RF Justin Ruggiano (.188) went 1-for-5 with a run scored and a double (1) in the third game of his major league rehab assignment.
Tennessee Smokies (25-21)
2nd Place (-5.5)
Smokies LF Charlie Cutler hit a walk-off RBI-single to lift Tennessee over Mobile, 6-5.
- RHP Corey Black struck out seven over five innings, giving up one earned run.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.335) extended his hitting streak to eight games (.400/12-for-30) while reaching base five times, going a perfect 3-for-3 with a run, two walks, a double (12), three RBI (40) and one stolen base (6). He’s hitting .397 (31-for-78) with seven home runs and 28 RBI in just 20 May games.
- Cutler (.324) finished the contest going 2-for-4 with a double (7) and three RBI (19).
- RHP Arodys Vizcaino (1-0, 4.50) earned the win despite blowing the save in the top of the ninth, as he allowed three runs on three hits.
- Mobile 1B Jon Griffin homered in his first at-bat, giving him five-straight at-bats with a homer.
Daytona Cubs (16-27)
5th Place (-15.5)
Bradenton scored two runs in the bottom of the ninth inning to beat Daytona, 2-1.
- RHP Tayler Scott gave up no earned runs over 6.1 innings, striking out three.
- C Willson Contreras (.237) went 3-for-4 with two doubles (4) and his first triple of the year.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.183) went 2-for-4.
- RHP Austin Reed (2.70) tossed 1.2 scoreless inning of relief.
Kane County Cougars (31-16)
1st Place (+3.5)
Kane County won its Midwest League-leading 31st game, beating visiting Clinton, 6-1.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.237) went 1-for-4 with an eighth-inning, solo home run.
- SS Carlos Penalver (.247) and 3B Ben Carhart (.281) each had two hits apiece.
- RHP Paul Blackburn won his team-leading fifth game. He owns a 1.00 ERA (2 ER/18.0 IP) with 16 strikeouts over his last three starts (2-0 record).
Josh Vitters homered for the I-Cubs Thursday. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Kane County’s offense was on full display early, capturing a win in the season opener. Iowa and Daytona both struggled to put some runs on the board while Tennessee let a five-run lead slip away in a loss. Here are some highlights from action around the minor leagues.
Iowa Cubs (0-1)
T-3rd Place (1 game back)
Iowa dropped its season opener vs. Memphis, 10-2. The Redbirds scored three first-inning runs off I-Cubs starter, Chris Rusin.
- LHP Chris Rusin (0-1) gave up five earned over 3.2 innings, fanning two in the loss.
- LF Josh Vitters was 2-for-4 and hit a third-inning solo home run.
- 3B Christian Villanueva had two hits with a double and a run scored.
- RHP Yoanner Negrin followed Rusin and spun 3.1 shutout innings, allowing one hit while striking out four.
Tennessee Smokies (0-1)
T-3rd Place (1 game back)
The Smokies had a 5-0 lead through three innings at Pensacola, but fell to the Blue Wahoos, 6-5, in their season opener.
- RHP Dae-Eun Rhee pitched four innings, giving up two earned runs on two hits and four walks while striking out four in a no-decision.
- 3B Kris Bryant clubbed a two-run homer in his first at-bat off RHP Mat Latos, who was on a rehab assignment. Bryant went 1-for-3 with two runs scored, the home run and one stolen base.
- CF Zeke DeVoss went 2-for-5 with a triple and one RBI from the leadoff spot.
- LF Rubi Silva and RF Jorge Soler each recorded a double. Soler left the game following his double due to hamstring tightness.
- RHP Ryan Searle allowed just one run on one hit while fanning five in three innings of relief.
Daytona Cubs (0-1)
T-4th Place (1 game back)
Daytona opened its 2014 campaign with a 1-0 loss at Brevard County.
- RHP Felix Pena had a solid outing, giving up one run on three hits while striking out three over six innings despite picking up the loss.
- 2B Gioskar Amaya recorded Daytona’s lone multi-hit effort, going 2-for-2 with a stolen base.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach and 3B Jeimer Candelario both went 1-for-3 with a walk.
- RHP’s Zach Cates and Arodys Vizcaino each tossed a scoreless inning of relief.
Kane County Cougars (1-0)
T-1st Place ( — games back)
Kane County kicked off its 2014 season with an 8-4 victory at Quad Cities.
- RHP Paul Blackburn gave up four runs over four innings, striking out three.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert went 4-for-5 with three doubles and two RBI.
- SS Carlos Penalver was a perfect 3-for-3 with a walk, a run scored, one RBI and two stolen bases.
- CF Jacob Hannemann batted leadoff and went 2-for-5 with two runs scored.
- LHP Nathan Dorris tossed two scoreless innings of relief to earn the victory.
Daytona’s Dan Vogelbach drove in a run Sunday. (Photo by Aldrin Capulong)
Tennessee staved off elimination and will play Birmingham in a deciding Game 5 showdown, while neither Daytona nor Boise could wrap up their respective championship series Sunday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Tennessee forced a fifth and deciding game in the Southern League North Division Championship Series with a 10-7 victory over visiting Birmingham.
- RF Rubi Silva (.429) recorded a game-high four hits, going 4-for-4 with three runs scored.
- 3B Jonathan Mota (.222) went 2-for-3 with a walk, three runs scored, a triple (1) and three RBI (4).
- C Taylor Davis (.222) was 2-for-4 with a run scored, two doubles (2) and two RBI (2).
- CF Matt Szczur (.267) went 1-for-3 with a walk, a run scored, a double (1), three RBI (4) and one stolen base (1).
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.125) went 2-for-5 with two RBI (2) and one stolen base (1).
- RHP A.J. Morris (1-0, 2.45) allowed one run on two hits in 2.2 innings of relief to earn the victory.
- RHP Frank Batista (0.00) recorded the final out of the game to convert his first save of the postseason.
Charlotte scored two runs in the bottom of the ninth inning to avoid elimination, beating Daytona 3-2. Daytona leads 2-1 in the best-of-five Florida State League Championship Series.
- RHP Corey Black gave up one hit over six innings and struck out two batters.
- RF Pin-Chieh Chen (.421) went 3-for-4 with a run scored.
- DH Dan Vogelbach (.167) was 1-for-4 with an RBI (3).
- 3B Kris Bryant (.412) went 1-for-3 with a walk and a run scored.
- C Chadd Krist (.235) recorded Daytona’s lone extra-base hit, going 1-for-3 with a double (2) and one RBI (2).
- Daytona allowed its first earned run of the postseason in the eighth inning, snapping a streak of 43.0 consecutive innings without allowing an earned run in the playoffs.
Vancouver avoided elimination with a 4-2 victory over visiting Boise in Game 2 of the Northwest League Finals. The best-of-three series is tied 1-1.
- RHP Paul Blackburn gave up one earned run on three hits and struck out nine over five innings.
- 2B Jordan Hankins (.500) went 2-for-4 with a double (1) and one RBI (1).
- SS Dan Lockhart (.333) was 1-for-4 with an RBI (3).
- 3B-CF David Bote (.286) reached base twice, going 1-for-3 with a walk and a run scored.
- RHP Jasvir Rakkar (0.00) struck out one in 1.1 scoreless innings of relief.
Dustin Geiger had a pair of hits in a Daytona victory. (Photos by Aldrin Capulong/Daytona Cubs)
Daytona’s pitching was on again as the D-Cubs shut out Charlotte in Game 1 of the best-of-five FSL Championship series. However, Tennessee couldn’t get the bats going and fell to Birmingham. Boise will play the first game of the Northwest League Championship Series tonight. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Tennessee mustered just four hits in Game 1 of the Southern League North Division Series, falling at Birmingham 3-1. The Smokies will try to even the series at one apiece tonight in Game 2.
- RHP Nick Struck pitched five innings, giving up three earned runs on six hits and striking out three in the loss.
- RF Rubi Silva (.333) provided all the offense for the Smokies, going 1-for-3 with a fifth-inning solo home run.
- LF John Andreoli (.667) recorded two of Tennessee’s four hits, going 2-for-3.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.333) went 1-for-3 with a double (1).
- RHP’s Yeiper Castillo (0.00), A.J. Morris (0.00) and Tony Zych (0.00) combined to toss 3.0 scoreless relief innings.
- RHP Kyle Hendricks claimed the Southern League ERA title with a 1.85 ERA (26 ER/126.1 IP). He limited opposing hitters to a .227 batting average and allowed the fewest base runners per 9.0 innings pitched at 9.83.
Daytona shut out Charlotte in Game 1 of the FSL Championship series, beating the Stone Crabs 5-0. The Cubs have not allowed an earned run in 27.0 postseason innings this season.
- RHP Pierce Johnson pitched five scoreless innings, allowing five hits and striking out six to pick up the win.
- CF Zeke DeVoss (.375) reached base four times, going 2-for-2 with two walks, a run scored, two doubles (2) and one stolen base (1).
- RF Pin-Chieh Chen (.273) batted leadoff and went 2-for-5 with a run scored, a double (2) and a team-high three RBI (3).
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.250) was 2-for-4 with a double (1) and two RBI (2).
- LF Anthony Giansanti (.364) posted his second straight multihit game of the postseason, going 2-for-4 with a run scored and a double (1).
- Daytona starting pitchers Corey Black, C.J. Edwards and Johnson have combined to throw 15.0 shutout innings this postseason. They’ve allowed just nine hits, walking two and fanning 19.
- LHP Jeffrey Lorick (0.00) scattered four hits while striking out one in 3.0 scoreless innings of relief.
- The Cubs came into the game having gone 0-6 against the Stone Crabs this season.
C.J. Edwards picked up his first win in a Daytona uniform Wednesday. (Photo by Aldrin Capulong/Daytona Cubs)
Daytona and Boise both snagged postseason wins Wednesday to secure a spot in their respective championship series. Tennessee begins its playoff series with Birmingham today. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Daytona allowed just two hits in a 4-0 victory at Dunedin in Game 2 of the Florida State League North Division Championship series. The Cubs will take on the Charlotte Stone Crabs in the best-of-five FSL Championship Series beginning tonight at Jackie Robinson Ballpark.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.833) posted his second straight multihit effort, going 3-for-3 with a run scored, a double (1) and a game-high two RBI (4). He finished the series 5-for-6 with four RBI.
- 2B Wes Darvill (.333) went 2-for-4 with a run scored, a double (1) and one RBI (1).
- LF Anthony Giansanti (.286) was 2-for-4.
- RHP C.J. Edwards tossed 5.0 no-hit innings and struck out eight to earn his first-ever Cubs victory. Since being acquired by the Cubs, Edwards has struck out 41 hitters while allowing just seven walks in 28.0 innings.
- RHP Ryan Searle (0.00) struck out five in 4.0 scoreless innings of work to convert the save.
- The game featured a 29-minute rain delay after the first inning.
Boise won the South Division Pennant with an 11-7 victory at Salem-Keizer. The Hawks will host Vancouver in the best-of-three League Championship Series beginning Friday.
- CF Kevin Encarnacion (.667) batted leadoff and went 3-for-5 with a walk, three runs scored, a double (1) and one RBI (1).
- DH Justin Marra (.222) went 2-for-5 with a run scored, two doubles (2) and a game-high four RBI (4).
- 2B Dan Lockhart (.500) was 3-for-6 with two runs scored and one RBI (1).
- 3B David Bote (.286) went 2-for-4 with a walk, two runs scored, one RBI (1) and a stolen base (1).
- RHP Loiger Padron (1-0, 3.38) allowed one run on three hits in 2.2 innings of relief to earn the win.
- The victory marks Boise’s 13th trip to the League Championship Series (seven titles).
Corey Black was solid for Daytona in its postseason opener. (Photo courtesy of the Daytona Cubs)
Daytona waited out the weather and picked up a playoff win and Boise’s pitching was solid in a postseason victory Tuesday. Meanwhile, Tennessee will begin its playoff push Thursday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Daytona plated five, sixth-inning runs to defeat visiting Dunedin in Game 1 of the FSL Playoffs, 6-1. Game 2 of the best-of-three series is tonight at Dunedin.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.667) recorded Daytona’s lone multihit effort, going 2-for-3.
- RF Pin-Chieh Chen (.333) led off the bottom of the first inning with a double (1). He scored the game’s first run on a wild pitch later in the inning, putting the Cubs ahead 1-0.
- DH Dan Vogelbach (.250) went 1-for-4 with a run scored and a RBI (1).
- RHP Corey Black scattered five hits while fanning seven to earn the win. Since joining the Cubs on July 26, Black has won five of his six starts and has more strikeouts (35) than hits allowed (27).
- LHP Frank Del Valle (0.00) struck out two in 2.0 scoreless innings of relief.
- Dating to the regular season, the Cubs have won 12 of their last 13 games, including six in a row vs. Dunedin.
- CF Kevin Encarnacion (.750) went 3-for-4 with two runs scored and a double (1).
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (1.000) also recorded three hits, going 3-for-3 with a game-high two RBI (2).
- 2B Dan Lockhart (.500) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and a double (1).
- RHP Paul Blackburn tossed 7.0 shutout innings while fanning eight to earn the win. Blackburn is 2-0 with a 0.60 ERA (1 ER/15.0 IP) in his last three starts.
- RHP Zack Godley (0.00) struck out three in 2.0 scoreless innings of relief to convert the save.
- Boise snapped a five-game losing streak dating back to the regular season.
Rafael Dolis continued his rehab assignment Thursday in Mesa. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Iowa continued its winning streak, Tennessee hurled a shutout, Daytona made it nine straight, and Mesa rode a big inning to victory Thursday night. But Boise slipped back into a first-place tie after a loss, and Kane County fell short. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (65-75)
Iowa won its fourth straight game, beating visiting Omaha 4-2.
- RHP Casey Coleman earned the win, allowing five hits and two earned runs over six innings and striking out three.
- 2B Edgar Gonzalez (.275) reached base three times, going 2-for-3 with a walk, a run scored and one RBI (20).
- SS Edwin Maysonet (.241) went 2-for-3 with a double (14) and one RBI (31).
- RF Ty Wright (.283) went 2-for-4, extending his hitting streak to eight games. He’s hitting .429 (12-for-28) during the streak.
- RHP Alberto Cabrera (7.08) and RHP Marcos Mateo (2.03) each tossed a scoreless inning.
- RHP Eduardo Sanchez (3.46) converted his third save of the season with a scoreless ninth inning.
Tennessee Smokies (39-26)
Tennessee allowed just one hit in a 5-0 victory over host Chattanooga.
- RHP Neil Ramirez fanned five and allowed one hit and no earned runs in 4.2 innings.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.259) went 1-for-4 with a fourth-inning solo home run.
- 1B Justin Bour (.237) was 1-for-4 with a double (16) and a team-high three RBI (58).
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.270) went 2-for-4 with two runs scored and a double (35).
- RHP P.J. Francescon (2-0, 4.34) struck out three in 1.1 scoreless innings of relief to earn his second win of the year.
- RHP Yeiper Castillo (3.79) tossed 3.0 scoreless innings to convert his first save of the season.
Daytona Cubs (38-19-1)
Daytona won its ninth straight game, beating host Brevard County 3-2.
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.261) went 2-for-5 with a run scored and a double (7).
- C Chadd Krist (.253) was 1-for-4 with two RBI (33).
- RHP Corey Black won his fourth straight decision, striking out six batters and allowing one run over six innings. He has struck out 28 hitters in 25.0 innings of work in five starts with Daytona.
- LHP Jeffrey Lorick (3.48) allowed a run on three hits in 3.0 innings of relief to convert his third save of the season.
Kane County Cougars (23-42)
Kane County dropped a 5-2 decision at Cedar Rapids.
- DH Marco Hernandez (.256) posted his third straight multihit effort, going 2-for-4 with an RBI (33).
- 1B Rock Shoulders (.253) went 1-for-3 with a walk, a run scored, a double (26) and one RBI (71).
- LHP Matt Iannazzo (4.22) tossed a scoreless inning of relief.
Boise Hawks (20-14)
Boise fell into a first-place tie with a 10-8 loss to Salem-Keizer.
- CF Kevin Encarnacion (.368) extended his hitting streak to 11 games, going 2-for-5 with a run scored, a home run and a team-high four RBI (28). He’s hitting .431 (22-for-51) with four home runs and 12 RBI during the stretch.
- LF Shawon Dunston (.293) went 2-for-4 with two runs scored and two stolen bases (12).
- 2B Dan Lockhart (.296) went 2-for-3 with a walk, a run scored, two RBI (22) and one stolen base (7).
- SS Carlos Penalver (.266) went 2-for-3 with two runs scored.
Mesa Cubs (14-13)
Mesa used a four-run third inning to beat host AZL D-backs 8-1.
- RF Ryan Sweeney (.286) went 2-for-4 with a walk, two runs scored, a double (2) and one RBI in the fourth game of a rehab assignment.
- 3B Luis Valbuena (.714) went 3-for-4 with a run scored, a double (2), two RBI (3) and one stolen base (1) in the second game of his rehab assignment.
- RHP Rafael Dolis (0.00) tossed a scoreless inning of relief in his third appearance of the season.
- RHP Ethan Elias (2-1, 5.71) threw 1.1 scoreless innings of relief to earn his second win of the year.