Results tagged ‘ Minor League Recaps ’
Behind a big fifth inning rally and another strong outing from starter C.J. Edwards, Tennessee racked up a win, while Iowa was shut out on Sunday. Daytona and Kane County both had the day off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (8-9)
T-3rd Place (-2.5)
Iowa was shut out for the third time at home this season, as they fell to Round Rock 6-0.
- Carlos Pimentel suffered his third loss despite posting his second quality start. His 26 strikeouts tie Mike Fiers of Nashville for tops in the league.
- CF Matt Szczur went 2-for-4 with a pair of singles.
- SS Logan Watkins went 2-for-4 with a single and a double, raising his season average to .281.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara went 1-for-4 with two stolen bases (5).
Tennessee Smokies (8-9)
4th Place (-3.0)
Tennessee posted a five-run fifth inning on their way to an 8-3 victory over Birmingham at Birmingham’s Regions Field.
- Tennessee scored eight runs with just one extra-base hit, a seventh-inning double for 2B Stephen Bruno (2-for-4, 2 R, RBI). The Smokies went 5-for-10 as a team with runners in scoring position.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.294) went 2-for-4 with three RBI, bringing his season total to nine.
- RF Rubi Silva added two RBI with a 2-for-5 line, his first multihit game of the season.
- RHP C.J. Edwards earned his first win in his first quality start of 2014, giving up two earned runs over six innings and striking out four.
Justin Bour ripped a home run for Tennessee Monday. (Photo by Rodger Wood)
Strong pitching efforts carried Iowa and Daytona to wins and Boise snapped a losing streak Monday. But Tennessee lost both games of its doubleheader while Kane County was rained out. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (47-45)
Iowa limited New Orleans to four hits in a 5-2 victory on the road.
- LHP Chris Rusin picked up the win, going six innings and surrendering two earned runs.
- C Luis Flores (.187) went 2-for-4 with a double (6) and a third-inning solo home run.
- 1B Brad Nelson (.263) recorded his fourth three-hit game of the campaign, going 3-for-4 with a double (15) and two RBI (53).
- 2B Logan Watkins (.257) went 2-for-4 with a walk, a run scored, two doubles (16) and one RBI (26).
- 3B Junior Lake (.313) extended his hitting streak to seven games, going 1-for-4 with an RBI (16). He’s hitting .333 (9-for-27) during the streak.
- RHP Brian Schlitter (1.83) converted his 10th save of the season with a scoreless ninth inning.
Tennessee Smokies (10-8)
GM 1: Tennessee managed just two hits in a 2-0 loss to Huntsville.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.273) went 1-for-3.
- LF Rubi Silva (.266) was 1-for-2. He’s hitting .291 (25-for-86) with four home runs and 14 RBI against southpaws.
- LHP Zach Rosscup (2.14) and RHP Tony Zych (3.31) combined for two scoreless innings of relief.
GM 2: Huntsville scored three runs in the eighth inning for a 6-3 win, sweeping the doubleheader against the Smokies.
- 1B Justin Bour (.210) was 1-for-3 with a seventh-inning solo home run.
- RF Rubi Silva (.270) extended his hitting streak to three games, going 2-for-3 with a run scored, a double (17) and two stolen bases (10).
- LF John Andreoli (.333) went 1-for-2 with a walk and a triple (1). He’s hit safely in eight of his first 10 games with the Smokies.
- Yesterday, four Smokies were named All-Star starters in the Southern League All-Star Game. OF Matt Szczur, INF Arismendy Alcantara, INF Christian Villanueva and RHP Kyle Hendricks will start for the North Division.
Daytona Cubs (11-5)
Daytona’s Matt Loosen threw a no-hitter in the Cubs 7-0 victory at Dunedin.
- RHP Matt Loosen struck out a season-high nine, recording Daytona’s first nine-inning no-hitter since August 24, 1996, when Kerry Wood, Darold Brown and Brandon Hammack combined to no-hit Vero Beach. Over his last three starts, Loosen is 3-0 with a 0.33 ERA (ER/27.0 IP), allowing just nine hits while striking out 31.
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.227) went 1-for-2 with two walks, two runs scored, a home run and two RBI (5).
- SS Elliot Soto (.214) went 2-for-5 with two RBI (2).
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.282) reached base three times, going 2-for-4 with a walk, a run scored and one RBI (20).
Jae-Hoon Ha continued his hot start Monday. (Photo by Rodger Wood)
Iowa, Tennessee and Daytona all earned victories Monday while errors led to Kane County’s demise. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (6-11)
Iowa defeated Memphis 5-2 in the third game of a four-game set.
- CF Brian Bogusevic (.389 AVG) extended his hitting streak to eight games (.500/13-for-26), going 2-for-4 with a double (4), a run scored and an RBI (5).
- RF Ryan Sweeney (.372) extended his hitting streak to nine games (.344/11-for-32) with a third inning single (1-for-4).
- 3B Ian Stewart (.100) went 1-for-3 with a double (1), a run and two RBI (3) in the sixth game of his rehabilitation assignment.
- 1B Brad Nelson (.193) hit his third home run of the season, going 2-for-4 with a run scored and two RBI (11).
Tennessee Smokies (11-7)
Tennessee scored five runs in the sixth inning to break open a 2-2 tie and defeat Montgomery, 8-3.
- DH Arismendy Alcantara (.288) went 2-for-4 with a home run, two runs scored, two RBI (13) and two stolen bases (10). He leads the Southern League with 10 stolen bases.
- CF Jae-Hoon Ha (.306) walked, doubled and scored two runs in three at-bats.
- LHP Eric Jokisch (3-0) now ranks fourth in the Southern League in ERA (1.11, 3 ER/24.1 IP) among starting pitchers with at least three starts.
- RHP Brian Schlitter (2.2 IP, 2 H, 1 K) has not allowed an earned run in seven appearances (10.1 IP) this season.
Daytona Cubs (8-10)
Daytona jumped out to a 5-0 lead after two innings and held on for a 7-4 victory over Dunedin, snapping a four-game skid.
- SS Javier Baez (.234) recorded his second three-hit game of the season, going 3-for-5 with a double (4), two runs scored and an RBI (10).
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.304) went 3-for-5 with three RBI (18). His 18 RBI lead the team.
- LHP Hunter Cervenka (2.2 IP, 1 BB, 2 K) converted his first save of the season.
Kane County Cougars (7-9)
Kane County committed two errors that led to four unearned runs in a 9-6 setback to visiting Peoria.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.323) blasted his second home run of the season and drove in a second run with a sacrifice fly as part of a 2-for-4 outing.
- SS Marco Hernandez went 2-for-4 with two doubles (4) and two RBI (8), his first two extra-base hit game of the season.
- DH Rock Shoulders (.410) saw his six-game hitting streak snapped (0-for-2), but he reached base three times via walks and scored a run.