Results tagged ‘ Minor League Report ’
Nick Struck captured his second victory of the season Sunday. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Iowa held off a short-lived comeback attempt, Daytona battled back to grab a win, Kane County’s late push fell short and Tennessee was rained out. Here are some highlights from Sunday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (16-24)
Iowa led 7-2 after five innings and held on for a 7-3 victory over Tucson, splitting the four-game set.
- 1B Brad Nelson (.286) went 2-for-4 with a double (8), a homer (7), two runs and a season-high five RBI (31).
- CF Dave Sappelt (.225) collected his second multi-hit effort in his last three games, going 2-for-4 with two runs.
- SS Donnie Murphy (.284) singled and homered in four at-bats, hitting safely for the eighth time in nine games.
- RHP Nick Struck earned his second consecutive win after starting the season winless in his first five starts.
Daytona Cubs (21-20)
Daytona came from behind to defeat Lakeland 5-4, sweeping the four-game, road series.
- DH Dustin Geiger (.333) blasted a go-ahead, solo home run in the eighth inning, extending his hitting streak to seven games (.536/15-for-28).
- 1B Taylor Davis (.240) collected his first multi-hit game of the season, going 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- SS Javier Baez (.256) extended his hitting streak to six games (.360/9-for-25), going 1-for-3 with a walk and a run.
- LHP Jeff Lorick (2-0, 0.00) scattered three hits in two scoreless frames, earning the win in relief. He has yet to allow a run in 5.1 innings this season (four appearances).
- RHP Luis Liria (2 IP) converted his first save in his third-straight, scoreless appearance (5 IP).
Kane County Cougars (20-21)
Kane County scored two runs in the top of the ninth inning, tying the game 7-7 at Cedar Rapids, but fell in walk-off fashion in the bottom of the ninth, 8-7.
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.343) collected his third, multi-hit effort in his last six games, going 2-for-4 with two runs.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.248) went 2-for-4 with a double (15) and a run scored. He has hit safely in five-straight games (.400/8-for-20).
- LF Rock Shoulders (.300) hit his 10th home run of the season, a two-run shot in the sixth inning.
- SS David Bote (.182) went 1-for-4 with his first home run of the season, a game-tying, two-run blast with two outs in the ninth inning.
Matt Szczur leads the Southern League in runs scored. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Iowa, Daytona and Kane County were all off Wednesday, while Tennessee’s late-innings comeback was stopped short. Here are the highlights from last night’s Smokies game:
Tennessee Smokies (11-9)
Tennessee scored a run in the bottom of the ninth inning and had the winning run at the plate, but lost 5-4 to visiting Montgomery.
- RHP Matt Loosen (0-0) went 4.2 innings, striking out three and surrendered two earned runs.
- SS Arismendy Alcantara (.288) went 2-for-4 with a walk, a double (2), an RBI (14) and a stolen base (12). He leads the Southern League in stolen bases (12) and has not yet been caught stealing.
- 1B Ty Wright (.222) singled, doubled and knocked in two runs in four at-bats in his second game with Tennessee after starting the season at Iowa.
- RF Matt Szczur (.295) went 1-for-4 with a walk and two runs scored. He has scored a run in 15 of 20 games this season and leads the Southern League with 20 runs.
- C Rafael Lopez (.186) extended his hitting streak to four games (.417/5-for-12) with a fifth-inning double (4). He went 1-for-2 with two walks.