Results tagged ‘ Zach Putnam ’
(Photo by Stephen Green)
The Chicago Cubs today selected the contract of right-handed pitcher Zach Putnam from Triple-A Iowa and optioned right-handed pitcher Alex Burnett to Triple-A. To make room for Putnam on the 40-man roster, right-handed pitcher Kyuji Fujikawa was transferred to the 60-day disabled list. It was announced yesterday the 32-year-old Japanese reliever will undergo season-ending Tommy John surgery.
Putnam, 25, will be available for the Cubs this afternoon against the White Sox at Wrigley Field. So far this season, he is 1-1 with four saves and a 3.26 ERA (7 ER/19.1 IP) in 17 relief appearances with Iowa. He has struck out 22 and walked only six in 19.1 innings, an average of 10.2 strikeouts per nine innings. Putnam has a 0.82 ERA (1 ER/11.0 IP) in his last 10 outings beginning April 28.
The 6-foot-2, 225-pound right-hander has a 1-1 record and a 4.82 ERA (5 ER/9.1 IP) in 10 major league relief appearances since making his debut with Cleveland in September 2011. In 2012, he had two scoreless appearances for the Rockies (2.0 IP) in two stints with the major league club.
Putnam is 20-13 with 30 saves and a 3.86 ERA (135 ER/315.0 IP) in 188 career minor league games, all but 15 as a reliever. He was originally selected by Cleveland in the fifth round of the 2008 draft before Colorado acquired him in January 2012 for pitcher Kevin Slowey. The Cubs claimed Putnam off waivers from Colorado in November 2012.
Burnett, 25, was claimed off waivers from Baltimore on Monday and tossed a scoreless ninth inning yesterday in his Cubs debut.
Brian Bogusevic posted his third-straight, multi-hit game Sunday. (Photo by Stephen Green)
While Kane County’s doubleheader in Wisconsin was postponed due to inclement weather, Iowa, Tennessee and Daytona all collected a win Sunday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (3-8)
Iowa won its second game in a row, plating three fifth-inning runs in a 4-1 victory over visiting Albuquerque.
- LHP Chris Rusin (1-1) went seven innings, surrendering one earned run on four hits for the win.
- CF Brian Bogusevic (.378 AVG) recorded his third-straight, multi-hit game, going 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- 2B Darwin Barney (.200) went 0-for-1 with three walks, a run scored and a stolen base (1) in the second game of a rehabilitation assignment.
- 3B Ian Stewart (.000) went 0-for-3 with a walk and a RBI (1) in the first game of a rehabilitation assignment.
- 1B Brad Nelson (.205) was 1-for-4 with a team-high two RBI (7).
- RHP Zach Putnam (8.44 ERA) converted his first save, walking one and fanning three in 2.0 scoreless innings of relief.
Tennessee Smokies (5-5)
Tennessee plated two runs in the first inning, one in the fourth inning and four more in the seventh in a 7-3 victory over visiting Chattanooga, the Smokies third straight win.
- RHP Dae-Eun Rhee (1-1) went six innings, surrendering one hit and allowing no earned runs.
- RF Jae-Hoon Ha (.343) reached base four times, going 3-for-3 with a walk, a double (2), a run scored and a RBI (6).
- 2B Ronald Torreyes (.667) reached base three times, going 2-for-3 with a walk, a run and a RBI (1).
- LF Rubi Silva (.345) was 2-for-4.
- 3B Jonathan Mota (.227) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and a RBI (2).
Daytona Cubs (5-5)
Daytona used a three-run seventh inning to race past host Tampa, 3-1.
- RHP Zach Cates (1-1) surrendered one earned run over six innings, striking out four in the win.
- DH Stephen Bruno (.385) went 2-for-4 with a run scored. He extended his hitting streak to eight games (.424), including six multi-hit affairs.
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.286) went 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- C Micah Gibbs (.286) was 2-for-4 with a double (2) and a RBI (5).
- LHP Frank Del Valle (0.00) converted his second save, striking out the side in a perfect ninth frame.
(Photo by Stephen Green)
Last week’s roster cuts gave Cubs fans a better view of who will be on the Opening Day roster—a total of 11 players were sent to various minor league squads on Friday, and reliever Rafael Dolis was shipped to Triple-A Iowa later in the weekend—but there is still at least one spot up for grabs.
Zach Putnam, Hisanori Takahashi and Cory Wade all will be vying for the final spot in the bullpen, following the news that Michael Bowden and Rule 5 pick Hector Rondon were likely in.
The 25-year-old Putnam signed with the Cubs this past Christmas after spending 2012 with Colorado. The right-hander has pitched nine innings this spring, posting a 3.00 ERA, a 1.56 WHIP and notching five strikeouts. In Triple-A last year, he racked up 12 saves in 49 games and posted a 4.15 ERA in 60.2 innings of work.
Takahashi is a 37-year-old veteran who spent most of his career playing in Japan before coming to the U.S. in 2010. The left-hander split time with the Angels and Pirates last year, posting a 5.54 ERA in 50.1 major league innings. With James Russell the only lefty locked into the bullpen, the Japanese native might have the inside track.
Wade comes over as an offseason signing as well, having spent the previous two seasons with the Yankees. The 30-year-old right-hander posted a 6.46 ERA in 39 innings in 2012. That came after a 2011 campaign in which he had a 2.04 ERA in 39.2 innings. This spring, he has a 5.63 ERA in eight innings pitched.
Cubs.com’s Carrie Muskat reported that Steve Clevenger is likely going to beat out utility infielder Alberto Gonzalez for the final bench spot on the roster. Clevenger played 69 games for the Cubs in 2012, mostly at catcher. This spring, the organization has tried out the 26-year-old at first base. He’s hitting .395 in 41 plate appearances.
Clevenger will be batting third and playing first Monday as the Cubs host defending World Series champs San Francisco. Lefty Travis Wood will get the start for Chicago, opposite Ryan Vogelsong. The 3:05 CST game can be seen on Comcast SportsNet, or fans can listen in on Cubs.com. Here’s the lineup the Cubs will send out Monday:
CF David DeJesus
SS Brent Lillbridge
1B Steve Clevenger
LF Alfonso Soriano
RF Nate Schierholtz
C Dioner Navarro
3B Luis Valbuena
2B Alberto Gonzalez
P Travis Wood