Cubs Minor League Notebook: 4/10/14
Iowa wrapped up their series with a win, and Kane County also pulled off a victory Thursday. The bats were quiet in losses for the Smokies and D-Cubs. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (4-4)
T-2nd Place (-2.0)
Iowa defeated Nashville 5-1, and won three of four games in the series.
- RHP Kyle Hendricks picked up the win, going 7.0 innings, giving up one earned run on five hits and a walk while striking out five.
- SS Javier Baez (.154) went 1-for-4 with a sixth-inning, two-run homer.
- 1B Chris Valaika (.263) went 2-for-4 with a double (2) and two RBI (3).
- CF Matt Szczur (.233) and 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.280) recorded two hits apiece.
- RHPs Neil Ramirez (10.80) and Blake Parker (0.00) both tossed a scoreless inning of relief.
Tennessee Smokies (2-5)
T-4th Place (-4.0)
Chattanooga scored a run in the ninth inning to beat the Smokies 1-0.
- RHP Jake Arrieta made his second start with the Smokies as part of a major league rehab assignment, tossing 3.2 scoreless innings while fanning four. Arrieta threw 66 pitches (44 strikes), and has allowed just three hits while striking out seven in two starts (6.2 IP).
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.280) reached base twice, going 1-for-3 with a walk.
- RHP Dae-Eun Rhee (0-1, 3.12) suffered the loss despite allowing just one run in 4.0 innings of relief.
Daytona Cubs (1-6)
T-5th Place (-5.0)
Dunedin tallied 18 hits en route to sweeping the three-game set in Daytona, beating the Cubs 12-2.
- LF Bijan Rademacher (.455) recorded three of Daytona’s seven hits, going 3-for-3 with a run scored and a walk.
- DH Tim Saunders (.211) went 1-for-4 with his third RBI of the season.
- RF Oliver Zapata (.273) went 1-for-3 with a run scored, a walk and one RBI (1).
Kane County Cougars (4-3)
T-2nd Place (-1.0)
Kane County pulled into a second place tie with a 7-5 victory over visiting Fort Wayne.
- RHP Tyler Skulina picked up the win, pitching 5.2 innings and striking out six.
- 2B Daniel Lockhart (.167) and SS Carlos Penalver (.259) combined to go 4-for-10 with five runs scored.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.300) went 1-for-4 with a walk and a game-high three RBI (7).
- RHP Justin Amlung (0.00) tossed 2.1 scoreless innings of relief to record his first hold of the year.
- RHP Tyler Bremer (0.00) worked the ninth inning to convert his first save of the campaign.